This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Different file extension

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:10 PM
In the past we'd used the Microsoft PST backup add-in, and one thing we routinely did was configure it so the backup copy created by the utility had a different extension (such as .BAK). This was because our cloud backup solution intentionally didn't backup PST files because they were usually locked open by Outlook or constantly changing causing the backup scanner to always be trying to backup the file and get itself stuck in a loop.

So we excluded PST files from backups, but included BAK files. The Outlook add-in would create the BAK file whenever the user quit Outlook, and all was good.

We really like this utility you've put together for Outlook 2013, however we noticed it only allows us to specify a destination folder and not a specific file name or extension. What would you think about updating it to support the specification of a filename and extension so the resulting file created when the user quit Outlook could have a different extension?
Coordinator
Feb 15, 2014 at 9:20 PM
Edited Feb 15, 2014 at 10:26 PM
I added a hidden feature within the config file of version 1.2.
You can add a line within outlookbackup.config
<BackupExtension>.bak</BackupExtension>

This will add an additional extension .bak. Hope this helps.

Another option would be to backup outlook-files via script. "BackupExecutor.exe /backupnow" can be used to start the backup manually.
Afterwards you could rename the file.
Feb 17, 2014 at 3:34 PM
Thank you so much for including that feature. That sounds like something that will indeed be very useful for our organization. I downloaded version 1.2 and started taking a look at it and I've run into a couple snags though.

The first issue was that on a new machine I was testing it on, when I'd open the Settings panel for the add-in, the "Save" button was unresponsive. I could configure the add-in settings but clicking the Save button did nothing. I could click Cancel and the settings panel would close, but the Save button never worked. I uninstalled 1.2, installed 1.1, and reinstalled 1.2 and then the Save button appeared to work again. Not sure if that's somethnig others have reported?

The second issue was the new hidden feature for the file extension. I added the line you mentioned to the BackupExecutor.exe.config file. When I run the add-in with the /backupnow switch to test it out, I see an error that BackupExecutor has stopped working. The stack trace error appears to refer to the config file line 6.

Unhandled Exception: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Configuration system failed to initialize ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Unrecognized configuration section BackupExtension. (C:\Program Files(x86)\CodePlex\outlookbackupaddin\BackupExecutor.exe.Config line 6)

My config file currently is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
<startup> 
    <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.5" />
</startup>
</configuration>
Coordinator
Feb 17, 2014 at 9:10 PM
Edited Feb 17, 2014 at 9:14 PM
Hi!
Thanks for your reply! I found the issue you mentioned. It happened when no config was there the first time after installation.
I fixed it in the current version.

Here is my example:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<BackupSettings xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <Items>
    <string>C:\Users\xx\Documents\Outlook-Dateien\Outlook.pst</string>
  </Items>
  <DestinationPath>D:\Temp\outlook</DestinationPath>
  <BackupProgram>C:\Program Files (x86)\CodePlex\outlookbackupaddin\BackupExecutor.exe</BackupProgram>
  <Interval>1</Interval>
  <BackupAll>true</BackupAll>
</BackupSettings>
You edited the wrong config file. The configuration is stored in your roaming profile:
%APPDATA%\Codeplex\BackupAddIn\OutlookBackup.config

Could you please try again?
Feb 27, 2014 at 6:00 PM
Thank you very much! I've tested out the new version and modified the file as you mentioned and things are working very well. This tool will be a great benefit for us. Thank you for your willingness to add that extension feature. It is very much appreciated.
Coordinator
May 18, 2014 at 12:24 PM
The next version 1.3 will support prefix and suffix, also via GUI.
Please note, that the configuration parameter was renamed to consolidate the naming.
new parameter name: BackupSuffix