This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Alternative backup?

Jun 29, 2015 at 4:16 PM
I just saw your project, and it is quite interesting...
I also wrote a VSTO addin (deployed via a Wix# installer) not for backup but to save selected mail items both to a network share and to Outlook subfolders at the click of a button.
Now I have a need to backup Outlook, and have a few questions:
  • is there any other alternatives out there that is proven / tested / industry recognized, or is it that you wrote this project to fill a gap?
  • how about moving the PST to a NAS drive (I've read that there could be issues?), and do a normal NAS backup...
  • or launching a file copy of the PST on Windows shutdown instead of Outlook closing?
I'm puzzled that Microsoft does not provide a backup solution for this (there was an old addin @ https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=9003 but I don't think one exists now for Office 2013 / 365).

Looking to hear your comments...
Coordinator
Jun 29, 2015 at 6:24 PM
Hello,
i also changed to Wix setup even if there are some struggles with 64/32 Bit.
The link you sent works up to Office 2010. This was the main reason why i started this project because its not compatible to 2013.

NAS drive is no problem as long as CIFS / SMB is supported. If you encrypt your pst and your NAS cant, you must
set a configuration parameter (via registry). Thats the only trick / edge case.

There are other tools which showed up later on. Most of them are not free.
Maybe you should compare some tools you find via web search.

If you want to make a backup at shutdown you can also use this tool from command line and start it
via script. The script can be configured via Group-Policy (Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Scripts -> Startup or Shutdown)

kind regards,
Thomas
Jun 29, 2015 at 7:56 PM
Thanks for the response. I'll probably just use your solution out of the box and see how it goes.
FYI, you should check out Wix# (WixSharp) to create an MSI using C#. It's probably much easier than C :)
Wix# generates the xml for Wix and then compiles it directly into an MSI...

Jean-Marc
Coordinator
Jun 30, 2015 at 7:45 AM
Hi!
Yes.. i already took a look at your project. The commands and hierarchy reminds me of the xml syntax of WIX.
I think I already did it the hard way :)
C# looks easier and if somebody has no experience with C++ I would recommend C# for sure.
Nice project!
Coordinator
Jun 30, 2015 at 10:26 AM
oh.. one additional note.
As you already work with visual studio and wix it would be easily for you to modify the sources
and build the project (merely an office plugin for VS is aditionally needed).
So if you miss a feature....just make a feature request or adjust the code as necessary.
Jun 30, 2015 at 1:24 PM
I didn't mean to take credit for the Wix# project. Wix# is actually developed by another guy (Oleg) on CodePlex.
Yeah, I took a look at the source code for the backup addin, and it looks pretty straightforward.
One additional feature I think would add value would be the ability to keep n versions of a backed up PST file (say 1 to 10, with the older one being overwritten by the latest backup). This could become handy if a PST file becomes corrupted. Also, it might be good to check the available disk space of the target to see if the PST would fit... :)

At any rate, this is a great project, and I'm glad you took the time to make it available to the community!
Thanks!

Jean-Marc
Coordinator
Jun 30, 2015 at 4:31 PM
Hello,
with the help of a little script it is already possible to keep N backups.
I have published the code here: https://outlookbackupaddin.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Script%20collection
You can configure this script to run after each backup.
This will append a revision-no and rename it to .bak

Thomas