This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Auto-disables itself after failing.

Jul 15, 2015 at 6:45 PM
Hello I use your addin to backup email to a network drive. Sometimes by the luck of the draw I close outlook when the network is acting up and the drive maybe down. This cause the addin to auto disable since it can't find the path to the directory. Is there there any way to make the addin always enable no matter what. This would save me a ton of trouble.
Coordinator
Jul 15, 2015 at 9:43 PM
Hi!
I checked your isssue. If the target folder doesnt exists, the timestamp of the backup is set.
Therefore the countdown starts from the beginning and waits the configured number of days.
You can send me an email via contact form.
I can send you an updated backup-exe.

Kind regards,
Thomas
Jul 16, 2015 at 1:09 PM
Edited Jul 16, 2015 at 1:10 PM
So will the update version retry everytime outlook is closed till it works? Also I thing a problem is also that when the backup fails outlook disaibles the add-in because it didn't work.
Coordinator
Jul 16, 2015 at 8:37 PM
Hello,
the backup program will try again.

The add-in is calling a separate program for backup on closing outlook. Thus taking backup and add-in are two independent programs.
(the add-in cant backup the pst-files because as long as outlook runs, they are locked)
If the backup program fails, it has no effect on the add-in.

If the add-in gets disabled, you can send a picture (file --> addins)
Jul 17, 2015 at 6:12 PM
So the updated Exe will retry once every time outlook is closed not until it works right? If so I'll take the update then. Also I currently don't have any Srceenshots of the addin being disabled. I am guessing Outlook disables it if it making it run slowly or the addin cause outlook.
Coordinator
Jul 18, 2015 at 10:51 AM
Hello,
when outlook closes, the plugin checks whether the number of configured days has already elapsed.
If yes, the backup program is called afterwards. If copy was successful it will save the timestamp of that backup.
The new backup program checks whether copy was successful and only if yes, this timestamp is stored.

I cant store attachements within this thread. You can drop a notification via contact form. Afterwards I can email the new file.

Regarding the disabled plugin I can suggest two options:
1) Click "always enable this add-in", see https://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2012/10/09/problem-detected-addin-disabled-outlook2013/
2) Set the registry key "warmup". This will change the way how startup time is measured.
More information are available here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb386106%28v=vs.100%29.aspx
Registry key depends on office version, e.g. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\BackupAddIn

Kind regards,
Thomas