This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Multiple Outlook profiles

Jul 20, 2015 at 1:37 PM
Dear Thomas,

I have a challenge with my Outlook Backup addin. I installed version 1.5.1. and everything works great. However, I have multiple Outlook profiles on my PC. For all profiles the backups are saved in one folder. How can I organize it so that it is possible to keep x backups per profile? In my opinion is that not possible with the script in the zip-file. Do you have any idea how I can solve this problem?

Many thanks in advance.
Kind regards,
Alje Bakker
Coordinator
Jul 20, 2015 at 8:54 PM
Hello Alje,

if the files have different names, you can use a script which can be automatically executed after backup process finishes.
Please take a look at https://outlookbackupaddin.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Script%20collection

You can adjust the script to your needs and configure the path to this script (post-backup-cmd).
Just change the path and number of copies within the script.
This will preserve x backups of every profile.

If you want to separate the backups into separate folders, you would have to add a move command depending on the filename
or extract the filename (without extension) and use this name as a folder-name.

Kind regards,
Thomas
Aug 10, 2015 at 1:58 PM
Dear Thomas,

Many thanks for your response.

Last few weeks I have done a lot of testing with the script "keep_n_backups". And yes, I got it working. Although there is, in my opinion, one exception. The script creates and updates only one "revision.txt". There is no "revision.txt" per outlook profile. The content of this "revision.txt" is used for all outlook profiles. So, practically it is not possible to create a consecutive series of backups for each profile (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, ... x). I do not use all my outlook profiles every day. So, one day I use "outlook profile 1" and the next next day "outlook profile 2" for example. I think you can imagine what happens. On the day I use "outlook profile 1" I get a backup with version "x", the other day when I use "outlook profile 2" I get a backup with version "x+1". When I use the next time "outlook profile 1" then a backup with version "x+2" is created. So, it is not possible to create a consecutive series of backups per profile.

Do you have any idea how to solve this issue? Is it possible to use a different "post-backup-cmd" for each profile?
Please help me out with this; for me it is quite essential.

Many thanks in advance.
Kind regards,
Alje Bakker
Coordinator
Aug 15, 2015 at 9:20 AM
Hello Alje,

I checked configuration with multiple profiles. Currently the settings are not separated for each profile.
Thus you can only configure the plugin for only one profile.
If you have Profile 1 with account A and profile 2 with account B, you will always see the corresponding
account to the current profile.
So even if I would add a parameter which profile was backed up, this wouldnt solve the root problems.
If you configure backup within profile 1, only account A would be visible.

Configuration per account is currently not supported. Implementing support for multiple profiles would be
a huge amount of work and would break support for domain policy.
If there are more requests about profile support, it might be added in future but currently this is not planned.
sorry for having no better news.

Kind regards,
Thomas
Aug 21, 2015 at 2:45 PM
Hello Thomas,

Many thanks for your answer. I really understand your explanation and, as told you before, I am aware of this issue. I also understand that it is a lot of work to implement support for multiple profiles. No hard feelings; no problem.

In the meanwhile, however, I also tried to think about a solution for this issue. Is it not possible to add a parameter which profile was backed up? When the profile name is available within the script it is possible to create a "revision.txt" per profile. For example "profile1_revision.txt" or "profile2_revision.txt" and so on. If that could be possible than only a few changes have to be made to the script so the right "............_revision.txt" could be read. In this way each profile has its own "revision.txt", and in my humble opinion the issue is solved. Maybe I forgot something or overlooked something.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Alje Bakker
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2015 at 4:41 PM
Hello Alje,
passing the profile name to the script is not a big problem.

Then you have two options:
1) use the checkbox "backup all" so that every time outlook closes, the pst files are checked automatically
2) use registry editor to define pst-files and never use settings dialog

If this is ok for you, you can drop a line via contact form and i will send you a new version via mail.

Kind regards,
Thomas
Aug 26, 2015 at 12:27 PM
Hello Thomas,

Many thanks for your reaction.
I am very happy with your help and I will drop a line via the contact form.

Kind regards,
Alje Bakker