This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

ost

Aug 27, 2015 at 5:44 PM
Edited Aug 27, 2015 at 5:59 PM
hi

Been trying to figure out how to backup my outlook 13 mails. Hadn't realised most of my accounts are now ost which makes it tricky. Want all held by me rather than rely on multiple 3rd parties.

Tried to follow the tricks to unlock the hidden ost option but neither the registry path or the app path I'm seeing given to others is present on my system. Maybe as its win 10.

Can you explain how to unlock ost back up please for a win 10 system or why , if its same, I can't find the 2 paths when I did nothing other than normal install ?

many thanks

J
Coordinator
Aug 27, 2015 at 7:44 PM
Hello,

ost-files means that you fetch your emails via active sync or imap.
Thus emails are stored server side, not on client side.

Please also check out these discussions:
https://outlookbackupaddin.codeplex.com/discussions/551352
https://outlookbackupaddin.codeplex.com/discussions/636805

If you still want to backup ost-files, you can try to use the registry setting:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\CodePlex\BackupAddIn\Settings
--> ShowOSTFiles --> True

Kind regards,
Thomas
Aug 28, 2015 at 3:37 PM
Thank you. Yes those are discussions I'd reviewed. I do understand the server side argument but as I've gathered quite a back catalogue and shift mail accounts I like to know I have them sat somewhere under my direct control.

As I posted I was struggling to locate the registry line and cannot find any codeplex entry of the path you show under HKEY current user (or local machine or users) ?? I even did a full search of 'codeplex' in registry and found no entry which had a 'settings' bit. It is installed just opened Outlook and can see the back up tab and when I click it shows one pst but not the 5 'ost's I want.

Why isn't it showing under the registry path you provide??? baffles me.

J
Coordinator
Aug 29, 2015 at 10:56 PM
Hello,
if the registry key doesnt exist, you use maybe an older version which stored the settings within a file:
%APPDATA%\Codeplex\BackupAddIn\OutlookBackup.config

If the configuration is stored there, you can set the option there or upgrade to the current version.

Kind regards,
Thomas
Aug 30, 2015 at 8:54 AM
sorry I have the latest install 1.5.1 and the registry does not have that path nor can I find that %apppdata% path either direct or when I searched on OutlookBackup.config .

could this be because i'm on win10? The add-in IS installed!

cheers
J
Coordinator
Aug 30, 2015 at 10:46 AM
Hello,
as you are using the current version, the settings should be saved within registry.
You can also use command line to change the setting.
Start cmd.exe
type (or copy&paste via right-klick): reg Add HKCU\SOFTWARE\CodePlex\BackupAddIn\Settings /v ShowOSTFiles /f /t REG_SZ /d True

Windows 10 doesnt make any difference. Plugin also works with Win10 the same way.

Kind regards,
Thomas
Aug 30, 2015 at 11:03 AM
well no idea why its not in that registry path but that cmd line worked a treat in 2secs. great stuff thanks.