This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Backs up a file with size of 0

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:07 PM
Edited Aug 28, 2015 at 2:07 PM
I use this on a lot of computer something like 100ish and it works flawless on most of them but I have two people that when I go to backup they backup a pst with file size 0 and it takes so short of time the backup program just flashes across the screen. Normally our .PST file sizes range from 500mb-25gb which was never a problem before. The computer in question have PST sizes of 900mb and 23gb. I have Office 2013 and Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I've tried reinstalling like 4 times on each machine and nothing.
Coordinator
Aug 30, 2015 at 4:06 PM
Hello,
is there any error message?
Please check the following items:
  • After backup: is the registry key "LastRun" updated at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\CodePlex\BackupAddIn\Settings ?
  • Is the pst file encrypted via EFS?
  • Is the pst file marked as downloaded from internet? (Right click pst file --> Properties --> Is there a button "unblock" ?)
  • Is there any error message on the screen?
The backup program can also be run in DOS mode with parameter /backupnow. Maybe this shows some messages
(key stroke is needed to end program in dos mode)

Kind regards,
Thomas
Sep 1, 2015 at 2:01 PM
Figured out a fix lol. Don't know why I didn't think of it off the get go. If you delete the 0 size file it fixes and correctly backs up. The current version is doing this on all new machines you may want to look into this or maybe I am just unlucky?
Coordinator
Sep 3, 2015 at 7:30 PM
Hello,
the current development branch has a better error handling and shows more error information.
If you like to try it, just send me a note via contact form. I can email a current build / msi file.
Maybe it helps to narrow down the issue. Maybe it is a permission issue on the target folder.

Kind regards,
Thomas