This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Installation OK but no backup is started

Nov 29, 2015 at 5:38 PM
Hello, my name is Holger. I am using Windows 10 and Office 2016. I have installed the add in without any problem. The backup button is shown after opening Outlook. I have configured the backup with the correct installation path of the file "BackupExecutor.exe". When I close Outlook I can see that a small window is opened in the middle of the screen for a fraction of a second which is closed in the same second (Perhaps the Backup activity window?). The Backup folder I chose is still emty. Do you have any idea what is/was going wrong?

Kind Regards
Holger
Coordinator
Nov 29, 2015 at 9:12 PM
Hello Holger,

you can also call the backupexecutor via command line and check the output.
Open cmd.exe, change directory to the location of backupexecutor.exe
Call the program with parameter:
BackupExecutor.exe /backupnow

Please check the output and post it.

Kind regards,
Thomas
Dec 1, 2015 at 7:57 PM
Hello Thomas, thanks for your quick reply. In the meantime I have decided to use an external backup programm called "Personal Backup" which I also use for backup tasks of other data. After noticing that the Backup Add-In was not working on my system I uninstalled it. I´m sorry that I can not check if your proposed solution works.

Thanks again and kind regards
Holger
Dec 10, 2015 at 1:25 PM
Edited Dec 10, 2015 at 1:25 PM
Hmm i must a say that on my Windows 10 computer incl Outlook 2016 the backup is not started when exit Outlook.

Kind regards

Pierre van Heumen
Coordinator
Dec 10, 2015 at 7:36 PM
Hello!
Which outlook version do you use? (local installed or 365)
Is the plugin loaded by outlook?
Is the backup tab visible within outlook?

Kind regards,
Thomas
Dec 11, 2015 at 8:13 AM
Edited Dec 11, 2015 at 8:18 AM
Hi Thomas,

I am using Outlook 2016 (local installed), the plugin is not loaded by Outlook, but when i turn it on it will not load the backup tab within Outlook.
After restarting Outlook and i look in the add-inn's it is off again

When i open cmd.exe and call the BackupExecutor.exe /backupnow i get the following errors

Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at BackupExecutor.BackupTool.tryBackup(BackupSettings config, Logger log)
at BackupExecutor.Program.Main(String[] args)

Kind Regards,
Pierre
Coordinator
Dec 12, 2015 at 11:05 AM
Hello,
please install VSTO and try to activate the plugin again:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=48217

Kind regards.
Thomas
Dec 12, 2015 at 11:52 AM
Edited Dec 12, 2015 at 11:52 AM
Hello Thomas,

That was the trick the backup tab is visible within Outlook and after i closed Outlook the backup is made correctly.

Thanks for your help

Kind regards
Pierre
Coordinator
Dec 12, 2015 at 7:41 PM
Hello Pierre,

I am glad it worked :)

Have a nice weekend,
Thomas
Aug 23, 2016 at 6:28 PM
Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at BackupExecutor.BackupTool.tryBackup(BackupSettings config, Logger log)
at BackupExecutor.Program.Main(String[] args)

I get this same error yet even after installing the link you gave pierreand restarting the backup tab is not shown. When I try to check the check box next to the addin under Files->Options->Add ins->Go It doesn't set it and does nothing.
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2016 at 7:38 PM
Hello,
the backup add in is loaded in your case. Otherwise the backup wouldnt get triggered when closing outlook.
Please configure backup and choose which files should be backed up.
You should see a new ribbon "BACKUP" within outlook menu bar.

After configuring the backup, the error will disappear.

Regards,
Thomas
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2016 at 7:44 PM
Short additional note: The error also indicates that you dont have the latest version installed.
Please update to current version.
Aug 31, 2016 at 12:38 PM
Edited Aug 31, 2016 at 12:38 PM
I installed the version from your link. There is no BACKUP tab. My error is trying to get it to load when you go to load COM Addins and check the box for this addin it check I hit ok and nothing happens go back in and it's not checked.
Coordinator
Sep 1, 2016 at 5:53 AM
Hello,
which version of office are you using? Is it 32 or 64 bit?
Which OS version do you use?

Please try the following (if not yet done):
1) Install VSTO https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=48217
2) Try to register the plugin manually via Console (BackupExecutor.exe /register)
3) Install current .Net Framework
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vsod/2008/04/22/troubleshooting-com-add-in-load-failures/
4) Further troubleshooting including logfiles, please check https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vsod/2008/04/22/troubleshooting-com-add-in-load-failures/

Kind regards,
Thomas