This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Manual trigger

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:54 PM
Thomas,
I find the backup add-in very useful and elegant.

Two (related) suggestions to make it even more useful (for me, at least...):
  1. I do my backup on an external HDD, which is not always connected. A manual trigger would help me do a backup only when I choose. Presently I have to set the interval to a few days, and only when I have the hdd connected, I have to go back to settings and choose 0 days.
  2. The backup is faster than many programs I tried, but with several GB, it takes some time. Any way to use partial file backup (blocks), so that only what changed gets backed up?
thanks,
Danny
Coordinator
Jan 31, 2016 at 7:29 PM
Hello,

thanks for your suggestions.
for 1) i see two options:
a) you could set the time interval to zero and a countdown time > 0. So everytime outlook closes, the countdown starts
and if no hdd is connected, you could cancel the backup.
b) the backup can also be started via command line. You could place a batch file on your desktop and start the script if needed.
You cant trigger the backup within outlook because the files are locked and not consistent.

2) was already mentioned some time ago. The format is proprietary and comparing the files would take the same time
because the target file must be read and compared with the local file.
The only thing which could speed up is to check whether the file has changed at all. The change date of the file is updated
when you start and close outlook. So currently I see no relyable way to check whether something has changed.
Reading the target file and calculating a checksum would take almost the same time as writing the file.

Kind regards,
Thomas
Feb 4, 2016 at 11:14 AM

Thomas,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Danny