This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Free way of Converting ost to PST ?

Feb 15, 2016 at 1:39 AM
Is there such a aminal ?

a free way to convert the .ost files to .pst files so that these backups can be imported by outlook 2013?

Anyone
Coordinator
Feb 15, 2016 at 9:05 PM
Hello,
if you search on internet, some tools are offered.

Usually there is no need to backup ost files because they are only cache files.
Backup is usually done serverside.
Ost-files are used for exchange and IMAP accounts. Both will leave the data on the server.
Thus backup should be done on serverside.

Kind regards,
Thomas
Feb 16, 2016 at 5:27 PM
ThomasHoffmann wrote:
Hello,
if you search on internet, some tools are offered.

Usually there is no need to backup ost files because they are only cache files.
Backup is usually done serverside.
Ost-files are used for exchange and IMAP accounts. Both will leave the data on the server.
Thus backup should be done on serverside.

Kind regards,
Thomas
Well thats true but not all true..

OST is on server side but Can also be saved to files on your own server other than places like office 365, BUT then depending on the plan you have they may ONLY save them for 30 days afater that POOF your out of luck .. so I back mine up in the ost in hte event I did to gotback years for legal reasons..
Coordinator
Feb 16, 2016 at 9:29 PM
Hello,
using OST files for backup is not a good idea.
OST files are bundled to your computer profile and cant be transferred to another computer easily.
e.g. see http://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/moving-ost-file-from-old-to-new-computers.3754009/

One option would be to use POP3 for office 365. POP3 access is also offered.

Another option would be to forward every email to a POP3 account for backup reason.

Microsoft also offers archive storage (of course for some extra bucks).

Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Thomas
Feb 17, 2016 at 11:29 AM
ThomasHoffmann wrote:
Hello,
using OST files for backup is not a good idea.
OST files are bundled to your computer profile and cant be transferred to another computer easily.
e.g. see http://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/moving-ost-file-from-old-to-new-computers.3754009/

One option would be to use POP3 for office 365. POP3 access is also offered.

Another option would be to forward every email to a POP3 account for backup reason.

Microsoft also offers archive storage (of course for some extra bucks).

Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Thomas
Well yes and NO you cant import them using the OST files that's why I'm looking for the FREE convertor because you CAN back up your ost files and if EVER needed convert them to .PST files and import them to outlook 2013 or 2016 with the office 365 mail

SO yes its done, unfortunately there is no way to automatically export the files if on exchange system to PST
Coordinator
Feb 17, 2016 at 10:17 PM
Hello,
if you have Exchange on-premise, you can export your emails via PowerShell to a PST-File (New-MailboxExportRequest).
For hosted exchange, like online-plan from Microsoft, you can book the archive space.
Maybe they want to sell there products instead of giving you an easy way to backup data on your own.

Greetings,
Thomas
Feb 18, 2016 at 9:42 PM
Edited Feb 18, 2016 at 9:43 PM
ThomasHoffmann wrote:
Hello,
if you have Exchange on-premise, you can export your emails via PowerShell to a PST-File (New-MailboxExportRequest).
For hosted exchange, like online-plan from Microsoft, you can book the archive space.
Maybe they want to sell there products instead of giving you an easy way to backup data on your own.

Greetings,
Thomas
Yes but this would require me to do this manually to each computer and not the automated way like these scripts?
Thats why I would nt mind having a way to convert them back if ever needed.

I can all so export them via the terminals to .PST but again that manual...
Coordinator
Feb 19, 2016 at 5:54 AM
Hello.
if you have an on-premise exchange you can do it automatically.
For each user you can create an export request and save it to a shared folder.
The powershell script can run automatically e.g. every night and save the pst file
for each account to a folder.
Would this be the solution?

Kind regards
Thomas