This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Cancel once started?

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:07 AM
Thomas,
Thanks for giving your time to such a great product. I'm an IT guy in a mid sized company and my users definitely appreciate the backup tool.

I know you have mentioned a countdown timer, but could you implement a cancel button to stop the backup? Often, I have users that are off the network, or using a slow connection which can take hours for a backup to complete. When they're in our office it happens quickly.

Is it possible to make the close button work without having to end the task, or perhaps put a button to "Cancel" the current backup?

Thanks,
Mike
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2016 at 8:35 PM
Hello,
if copy process started the old file is already partly overwritten.
Cancelling backup would result in a broken backup.
Maybe it would be sufficient to cancel backup after a whole file?

Kind regards,
Thomas
Apr 15, 2016 at 12:05 AM
That could work. Some of my most challenging users have many PSTs in Outlook and rather than waiting for 10 to back up, cancelling after the current task could work.

Unfortunately, what I've run into is that they're just doing an "end task" on it as they don't want to wait for it.

This is perhaps a stretch, but maybe the application could rename the current backup to .bak before sending the new backup to prevent the broken backups, then delete the .bak file when the upload is complete? It seems fairly straight-forward that it could work that way, but admittedly for the programming that you do I'm don't know how big of a deal it really would be. In our environment specifically, the broken backup wouldn't matter tooooo much because the network folders where they save their PSTs are backed up frequently. Others may also have this benefit.

In userland, they're not quite sure exactly what IT magic is really happening to get the backup there. For them, they just see a window that leaves them "stuck" waiting for the backup to finish.

In our office, the network quite fast so even for several gigs of PSTs, it goes quite quickly. Unfortunately, often we have those that travel and they're stuck using a 3g or 4g device which can take hours for a few gigs.

We'll continue to use and love the product just as is, but if you have some way to make closing it an option, that would make an already great product even better!

Thanks!
Mike
Apr 15, 2016 at 8:47 AM
We are also a mid-sized company and like to use this tool.

We have a lot of Notebook user which traveling are a lot.

Most they are in other side with WAN connection to the head quarter.

What we like to have is a message if you close Outlook that a PST back up is necessary.
The User should klick OK to start the process or Cancel if they are not in the Head quarter.

With this we can give the user more control over the backup procedure.

Michael
Apr 18, 2016 at 10:12 PM
WestphalM,
The latest version has a countdown timer which you can set which would do the same sort of thing. Rather than opting in to do the backup, they have to opt out (cancel). Depending on your users, that may be just the thing that you need.
Coordinator
Apr 20, 2016 at 5:43 AM
Hello,
the countdown timer is another solution which might work in your situation.
If the user uses Wifi, he/she can cancel the backup. Merely if it started you cant currently interrupt it
to prevent backup corruption.
Does this work in your case?

Using temporary filename for copying can result in other problems. Errors can occur
if temporary file already exists, maybe you dont have permission to delete or rename the file.
Target size must be double the size of the PST-file, ...
All these other possible errors must be taken into account.

Kind regards,
Thomas
Apr 20, 2016 at 10:38 PM
Edited Apr 20, 2016 at 10:39 PM
hi Thomas,
Thanks for the reply. The countdown timer will work for some users, it will not work for others. In a previous version, you were at least able close it. I know it isn't safe, but considering that our users backup to a network drive that we back up, it's not a huge loss to us if the backup breaks a copy, we can restore it. In the 1.5 version that we're using (I haven't started using 1.6 with them yet), the close button is not functional and the only way to end it is through task manager.

While folks that are a bit more understanding of the process grasp that, frustrated users only see a backup that they MUST wait for up to a few hours depending on their connection.

If you can think of a way to make it work, that would be great. If not. you still have made a lifesaver of a program for us.

Mike
May 18, 2016 at 9:05 AM
We still discussing if we can use the add in.

Our concern is that we get broken pst files if the user interrupts the copy process.

For us it would be the best if we can set a countdown until the copy process start and if the user wouldn't do it in the moment he can click on a cancel button.

Is it possible to integrate this?
Coordinator
May 18, 2016 at 9:57 PM
Hi!
There is already a countdown available (backup countdown).
During the countdown the user can cancel the backup.
After it started, you cant interrupt it. This prevents broken pst files.

Kind regards,
Thomas