This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Creates new backup even if nothing has changed

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:12 PM
Because Outlook insists on PST files being opened read/write the PST file modification date changes even if the user makes no changes in the PST. My corporate backup solution excludes PST files and I'd like to consider using this addin to allow uses to backup the PST to a file with a different extension. This works, but creates a new version of that file even if no data in the PST has changed.

Is there any creative way of getting it to only create a backup file if the resulting file will be different from the previous backup?

thanks
David
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2016 at 7:26 PM
Hello David,

the outlook files will always change as soon as you open outlook and work few minutes with it.
Not just the file date will chance but also the content.
You can check it by calculating a checksum of the pst, open outlook, wait, close outlook and calculate checksum again.
The file contents will have changed!

The intention of the backup is to regularly take a backup of the file, e.g. every 3 days.
I think during normal work new emails will arrive daily and the case that no email arrives within 3 days is very rare.

So currently I see no benefit of checking the file content regarding changes nor would it work as explained in the beginning.

Regards,
Thomas