This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Access to Path.........Denied

Sep 5, 2016 at 8:45 AM
I'm currently running the 32-bit version of Office 2010 Professional on a Windows 10 Home PC upgraded from Windows 7 SP1 several months ago. I just purchased Office 2016 Home & Business. Before I uninstall Office 2010 and install Office 2016 I wanted to backup the .pst files.

Outlook Backup Add-In 1.6 installed successfully and created the Backup tab in Outlook. I opened the Settings and (a) set the Backup Countdown to 10 seconds to allow Outlook sufficient time to close and (b) clicked SAVE.

When I close Outlook the program begins to execute but, for the two large .pst files (\Documents\Outlook Files\archive.pst and \Documents\outlook0.pst), the message "Access to Path ----------- is Denied" is displayed.

Does anyone know what is causing this problem? Thanks.
Coordinator
Sep 5, 2016 at 8:33 PM
Edited Sep 5, 2016 at 8:33 PM
Hello,
the version of outlook is ok.
How large is large?
Is the target directpry it a local directory or on a Nas, network share ...?

there are two possibilities:
1) Either the target folder doesnt allow the copy process
2) The source file doesnt allow access (maybe because it is in use)

1 -> you can try to copy it via Explorer. there should not be a user-account-control popup. Otherwise modify your NTFS permission. You can also monitor permission problems via the microsoft tool ProcMon
2 -> you can also try a manual copy. You can check via the microsoft tool ProcessExplorer whether another process has an active handle on the source file.

Kind regards,
Thomas
Sep 6, 2016 at 1:16 AM
Thomas,

Thanks for responding so quickly. With your suggestions I discovered the problem. Before I share the issue that resulted in the denied access to the files, let me give you some details because I would like to ask you one more question.

When I click on Add-In Backup > Settings, the following four files are listed:
  1. C:\Users\xxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\archive.pst (362 MB)
  2. C:\Users\xxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst (265 KB)
  3. C:\Users\xxxxxxx\Documents\Outlook Files\archive.pst (2.3 GB)
  4. C:\Users\xxxxxxx\Documents\Outlook Files\outlook0.pst (1.8 GB)
I tried to copy the four files to both a USB drive and an external drive. The two smaller files (1 and 2) were copied but the two larger files (3 and 4) produced the "access denied" message.

I then checked the NTFS permissions. All four files "allowed" Full Control / Modify / Read & Execute / Read / Write. So the permissions didn't seem to be an issue.

I then downloaded the Process Monitor (ProMon). I opened Outlook 2010 and, within ProMon, used the FIND command to locate processes for the two larger files. It eventually found a process for the \Documents\Outlook Files\archive.pst file with a Process Name of vsserv.exe and a Result of FILE LOCKED WITH WRITERS. Recognizing vsserv.exe, I immediately knew what was causing the path denial.

Vsserv.exe is "the main Bitdefender (Antivirus Plus 2016) process that provides continuous real-time protection against a wide range of malware threats and online attacks." Although Bitdefender is one of the best malware protection programs, it often does not "play well" with other third-party programs. So I temporarily disabled BAP 2016 and Add-In 1.6 was able to copy all four files to my external drive.

Now for my question. I created a new folder (Outlook 2010 Backup pst Files) on the external drive for the four Outlook files. When I open the folder, it only lists (under the name column) the final portion of the file name and not the entire path. As a result, the two archive.pst files are combined (I can tell by the cumulative size shown).
  1. Will this cause a problem if it becomes necessary to restore the files?
  2. Is it possible (do you know how) to show the entire path so that the files will be listed separately?
  3. Is the smaller archive.pst file (362 MB) needed/necessary during a restoration? If not, then maybe I shouldn't include it in the backup process.
Any insight you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Anyway, the next time someone has this problem you'll know to recommend/suggest disabling their antivirus program.
Coordinator
Sep 6, 2016 at 6:26 AM
Hello,
thanks for the quick response and the analysis.
If the two files are combined it will result in problems during restore.
Attaching the whole path would also cause problems on some systems because
the length and depth of a path is limited. So you cant combine two path without checking the depth and length.

Usually one archive.pst is sufficient. I suggest to open both archive-files within outlook and move the contents
from the smaller one to the large one.
Maybe the smaller one is still used for the automatic archive process. Please check outlook settings which
archive file is used and correct them if necessary.

Afterwards you can move the smaller archive.pst to the backup location and rename it... just to get sure.

Kind regards,
Thomas
Sep 7, 2016 at 10:18 PM
Thomas,

I believe I discovered why I have two different archive.pst files and, thereby, have an easy solution to my situation.

I Goggled a few different phrases to help me perform your suggestions and I came across the following article:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Open-and-find-items-in-an-archive-Outlook-Data-File-pst-2e2b55a4-f681-4b93-90cb-31d39349fb95

At the end of the article there is a section titled "Where are my emails archived?" For Outlook 2010, 2013 and 2016 (with Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10), new archive files are saved to drive:\Users\user\Documents\Outlook Files\archive.pst. This is the larger of my two archive.pst files and the one used in the AutoArchive process.

For earlier versions of Outlook (with Windows 7 and Vista), the archive files are saved to drive:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\archive.pst.

Four or five years ago I upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2010. It appears that, after the upgrade, the software began to use the new location to store the archive.pst file. The newer archive.pst file is appreciably larger because, a few years ago, I changed the AutoArchive option for the (1) Inbox, (2) Sent Items and (3) Deleted Items to "Do not archive items in this folder." I prefer to manually review and delete or save these items.

Since the smaller archive.pst file contains old Outlook 2000 items (which I don't need), I can simply delete the file (if the system will allow me to do so) or choose NOT to include it in the Add-In 1.6 backup process.

Do you agree with my analysis and conclusions?

Thanks for all your assistance and suggestions.

Stephen
Coordinator
Sep 8, 2016 at 6:38 AM
Hello Stephen,
sounds good :)
If you want to keep the old archived emails, just open the two archive pst-files and you can drag&draop the items
from one pst to the other pst and thus combine the archives.

Greetings,
Thomas