This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

It does backup the Exact situation of Outlook !

Oct 21, 2016 at 6:09 AM
Edited Oct 21, 2016 at 2:40 PM
Is it possible to backup the exact situation on Outlook, so if I delete 10 and insert new events in calendar it backups all those data of this moment ?
I am looking not incremental, but mirror backup as restore of incremental not has deletions propagate.

For emails deleted, the backup now work as incremental ?
Thanks
Coordinator
Oct 25, 2016 at 5:41 AM
Hello,
the tool creates a snapshot of your current emails, contacts and calendar entries (as long as they are stored within a pst-file).
It is not suitable for creating an archive because deleted emails are also lost at the next backup.
Signatures and outlook settings must be backed up additionally, see https://outlookbackupaddin.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Script%20collection

For backup, outlook must be closed. Afterwards a snapshot of your pst files is taken and stored within an extra folder or network share.
The backup is always a full backup.

Does this information help?
If you have any further questions, just drop a line.

Kind regards,
Thomas
Oct 25, 2016 at 5:46 AM
Accord to me you are wrong ...
Example : I have 100 outlook 2010 calendar events, I backup the data.
I delete 10 events, I backup again data.
If I restore the latest backup, the deleted events are restored !
This for me is not correct !
Regards
Coordinator
Oct 30, 2016 at 9:07 AM
Hello,
I tried to reproduce this but deleted items stayed deleted.
Do you have other files than PST-Files within your outlook?
Is the calendar maybe synchronized with other platforms?
How about emails... if you delete emails, do they stay deleted after revocery?

Kind regards,
Thomas
Oct 31, 2016 at 7:56 AM
Edited Oct 31, 2016 at 10:48 AM
After having backuped, I tried to delete/add some calendars events and emails, when exiting from Outlook, the program does not backup again.
Probably the software backups only once a day, so it does not cares about modifications done after the first day backup.

The software has to backup all the times it discovers a whatever change in pst database, same in adding same in deleting.
Or, permit the user manual to force backup if need.

Also : program has the possibility to restore the previous backup or the user has to do it manually ?

Thanks
Regards
Coordinator
Oct 31, 2016 at 9:29 PM
Hello,

the time between the backups can be configured within outlook (new ribbon "backup").
The aim is to set the number of days between backups. After outlook closes, it checks whether the number
of days have already been elapsed. If yes, then the backup program will copy the pst-files to the backup folder.
Within the configuration dialog of the backup you can also delete the last backup timestamp and thus trigger backup
on next exit of outlook.

This backup plugin is not intended to do a constant backup or synchronization. While outlook is running, the pst file is locked.
Therefore the backup plugin waits till outlook exits.

Restore has to be done manually. You can also keep multiple backups, e.g. last 3 backups.
The pst files have to be copied back to your profile folder.

Hope this informations helps to understand how it works and for which purpose it is suitable.

Kind regards,
Thomas