This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Script Issues

Feb 26 at 8:45 AM
Hi

I'm having an issue with the backup_additional_settings.bat script.

There's a typo on one line

copy "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Signatures*" *

It should be

copy "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Signatures*.*"

The main issue is, when this script runs the registry export, firstly it prompts for authorisation to run, it exports the registry key, but, it doesn't place the exported file in the defined location.

In the example script, the export location is D:\outlookbackup (that's fine for me to use for testing as I have a second hard drive as D). When the script is run from a command prompt, the signature files get copied to the D:\outlookbackup location, then the prompt to run the registry export appears, say yes, it exports the registry - but rather than placing the export in D:\outlook backup, it places the exported file in C:\windows\system32 ? It appears to loose or ignore the backup location variable after the prompt to run?

Cheers, great add in by the way.
Feb 26 at 10:26 AM
Hello,

there are two important lines:
cd /D d:\outlookbackup
copy "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Signatures*" *

The first one changes the current directory to the backup folder (where the backup should be copied to).
The second line copies everything beneath the directory \signatures\
This could be txt or html files, depending on the format. Thats why there is only *

So the line within the example is correct. The second parameter * should stay. It seems you omited the second parameter.
Maybe you can try again with the example above.

Kind regards,
Thomas
Feb 28 at 8:15 PM
Thanks for the reply Thomas.

The signature line works, it's the registry export and copy to the backup location that's failing? The export part works, but the copy to the backup location fails.

This section

rem uncomment for outlook 2016
regedit /e outlook_settings_backup.reg "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Profiles\Outlook"

endlocal

Rather than sending the exported file to D:\outloobackup, it's going to C:\windows\system32 ? Which I assume is the default export location if none is expressed?

As an aside, I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Office 2016 both fully patched. I've installed your app onto a friends computer, same spec apart from Windows 10 Home. The backup option doesn't appear on the Outlook 2016 Ribbon, and it doesn't appear under add in's or disabled add ins? Any ideas, I've removed, reinstalled etc?

Cheers
Feb 28 at 8:25 PM
Changing the line to explicitly define the backup location like this

regedit /e d:\outlookbackup\outlook_settings_backup.reg "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Profiles\Outlook"

Works :)

Pity UAC still prompts to run that line...

Cheers

Gary
Mar 1 at 6:21 AM
Edited Mar 1 at 6:24 AM
Hello,
if you accept UAC, the current directory changes. It acts like a new login.
Thus the current directory flips back to c:\windows\system32
You can also export the registry via:
reg export "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Profiles\Outlook" outlook_settings_backup.reg /y
This doesnt show UAC.

Depending on the office version you might have to add an additional parameter /reg:64 or /reg:32 depending
on the architecture of your outlook.

Regards,
Thomas